Spain capital

Kahn condemns ‘cowardly’ death threats against Nagelsmann

BERLIN, Germany, April 17Bayern Munich CEO Oliver Kahn on Sunday slammed “cowardly” social media attacks on head coach Julian Nagelsmann, who received 450 death threats via Instagram following his Champions League exit.

“What happens with people who send anonymous death threats? Kahn said on a Sport1 talk show.

“There is nothing more cowardly than to discredit and belittle others anonymously.”

Kahn said the club were considering how to “put an end” to the type of abuse aimed at Nagelsmann after Bayern were knocked out of the Champions League by Villarreal last week in the quarter-finals.

On Friday, Nagelsmann revealed he had received hundreds of death threats, and his mother was also threatened, following a 1-1 draw at home after losing the first leg in Spain.

Bayern are on the verge of securing a tenth consecutive Bundesliga title.

Kahn revealed the club are in talks to convince striker Robert Lewandowski, 33, to extend his contract, which expires in 2023.

“We want him to stay at FC Bayern as long as possible,” added Kahn.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The Polish striker has consecutively won the Best FIFA Men’s Player award for the past two years.

His wife Anna Lewandowski has fueled rumors that her husband could leave Bayern, with Barcelona as a possible destination, after posting that she was learning Spanish.

Kahn insists Lewandowski will play for Bayern next season and talks are ongoing.

The forward won seven Bundesliga titles with Bayern and won the Champions League in 2020 as part of the treble-winning side.

Kahn said “then it takes longer to convince” a player to stay who has achieved so much.

The Bayern boss has ruled out the signing of Dortmund striker Erling Haaland as a possible successor to Lewandowski.

The total cost of signing Haaland would be “very far from what we imagine”, Kahn said.